British Columbians will be able to apply online for the new BC Recovery Benefit beginning Friday, December 18, 2020.
The BC Recovery Benefit is:
- a one-time, direct-deposit, tax-free payment
- up to $1,000 for eligible families and single parents
- up to $500 for eligible individuals.
Benefit eligibility is based on net income from your 2019 tax return. You must apply to receive the benefit.
The amount you’re eligible for will be automatically calculated based on your income when you apply.
Using 2019 income tax data
As with the B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers, in order to prevent fraudulent claims, applicants must provide 2019 income tax data to receive the benefit.
British Columbians need support now, and if the benefit relied on 2020 income tax data, payment wouldn’t be possible until approximately fall 2021
British Columbians can apply for the Recovery Benefit through one of the following:
- Online starting Dec. 18, by visiting: gov.bc.ca/recoverybenefit
- By phone starting Dec. 21, at 1-833-882-0020 (toll-free)
- Monday to Friday, from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Agents will be available to provide assistance in multiple languages
- In person at your local Service BC location. Find your nearest Service BC location and their hours of operation.
At a Service BC location, you have the option of being assisted by an agent or using a computer on site. Please note that the online application is the preferred format as it is the fastest, and safest way for constituents to receive the benefit.
Service BC locations are following strict COVID protocols.