Joint statement on Province of B.C.’s COVID-19 response, latest updates
Wednesday, May 6, 2020 2:10 PM
Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, and Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, have issued the following joint statement regarding updates on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) response in British Columbia:
“Today we are announcing 23 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 2,255 cases in British Columbia.
“Every health region in British Columbia has patients with COVID-19: 852 are in the Vancouver Coastal Health region, 1,046 are in the Fraser Health region, 124 are in the Island Health region, 179 are in the Interior Health region and 54 are in the Northern Health region.
“We are saddened to report three new COVID-19 related deaths: one in the Island Health region and two in Vancouver Coastal Health region, for a total of 124 deaths in British Columbia. We offer our condolences to everyone who has lost their loved ones.
“In the last day, there were no new long-term care or assisted-living facility outbreaks. In total, 17 facilities and five acute-care units have active outbreaks, with outbreaks now declared over at 17 care facilities.
“Public health teams are also providing support to a number of community outbreaks, actively contact tracing those who may be directly affected and their close contacts.
“There are seven confirmed positive cases at Fraser Valley Specialty Poultry, 56 at Superior Poultry in Coquitlam and 35 at United Poultry in Vancouver.
“There are also 134 inmates and staff confirmed positive at the Mission Institution federal correctional centre, as well as 16 positive cases of COVID-19 connected to the Kearl Lake plant in Alberta.
“To date, 1,494 people who had tested positive for COVID-19 have recovered.
“Of the total COVID-19 cases, 74 individuals are hospitalized, and 19 of those are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
“We are not yet ready to make any changes to the measures we have in place – just this week, new outbreaks have emerged. Without continued vigilance, hot spots will quickly flare.
“We must chart a safe path forward together – one that will protect our province and give us the confidence that we can stay safe while increasing our social connections.
“As Premier John Horgan has said, finding the right balance in this next phase of COVID-19 requires all of us to work together, to follow our playbook principles and remember the basics of keeping a safe physical distance from others, with fewer faces and open spaces.
“We must also continue to show kindness and compassion to those around us, as we remain 100% committed. It is in all of our hands. Let’s remember to wash them.”
For the slides presented at the May 4 media briefing, visit: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/modelling-projections
For mental health and anxiety support, visit: www.bouncebackbc.ca
For guidance and information on self-isolation and self-monitoring, including how to isolate if you live with others, visit: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/self-isolation
For the provincial health officer’s orders, notices and guidance, visit: www.gov.bc.ca/phoguidance
For the latest medical updates, including case counts, prevention, risks and testing, visit: http://www.bccdc.ca/
Or follow @CDCofBC on Twitter.
To learn where, when and how people with symptoms can be tested, visit: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/testing
The COVID-19 self-assessment app, which includes details about where, when and how to be tested, can be downloaded here: https://bc.thrive.health/
For information on how returning travellers can submit self-isolation plans, visit: https://gov.bc.ca/returningtravellers
To learn more about Fair PharmaCare, including coverage, how to request an income review, and the monthly deductible payment option, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/files/Register_for_Fair_PharmaCare.pdf
For non-health related information, including financial, child care and education supports, travel, transportation and essential service information, visit: www.gov.bc.ca/covid19
Or call 1 888 COVID19 (1 888 268-4319) between 7:30 a.m. and 8 p.m. (Pacific time), seven days a week.
Victims of family and sexual violence can find support from VictimLinkBC at: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/priority-populations/people-who-may-be-or-are-experiencing-violence
Or by calling 1 800 563-0808
For the latest videos and livestreaming of COVID-19 media availabilities, visit:
For a Chinese translation, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/files/2020.05.06_New_ExistingCasesCOVID-19_CN.pdf
Assisted living, long-term care homes, seniors’ rental buildings with past or ongoing COVID-19 outbreaks
Vancouver Coastal Health:
- Amica, Edgemont
- Berkley Care Centre long-term care facility
- Evergreen House long-term care facility
- Haro Park long-term care facility
- Royal Arch Masonic Home long-term care facility
- South Granville Park Lodge long-term care facility
- Windermere Care Centre long-term care facility
- Cedarbrook Chateau independent living
- Chartwell Willow long-term care facility
- Clayton Heights long-term care facility
- Dufferin Care Centre
- Eden Care Centre long-term care facility
- Langley Lodge long-term care facility
- New Vista Care Home long-term care facility
- Swedish Canadian Manor assisted living
- Worthington Pavilion
- Valhaven Home long-term care facility
Outbreaks declared over:
- Amica Retirement Home long-term care facility
- Central City Lodge
- Delta View long-term care facility
- Evergreen Heights assisted living
- German Canadian House long-term care facility
- Guildford Seniors Village long-term care facility
- Hollyburn House long-term care facility
- Inglewood Lodge long-term care facility
- Kootenay Street Village long-term care facility
- Langley Gardens long-term care facility
- Little Mountain long-term care facility
- Lynn Valley long-term care facility
- MSA Manor long-term care facility
- Orchard Manor at Hawthorn Park long-term care facility
- Shaughnessy Care Centre long-term care facility
- The Harrison at Elim Village long-term care facility
- Villa Cathay long-term care facility